5708 Highway 187 N
Anderson, SC 29625
Year Round Missions
Don't forget: The second Sunday of each month we collect CENTS FOR SALK to help our participants!
Organization that provides showers and laundry services, as well as clothing needs to Anderson's homeless!
JAM is a ministry for upper elementary and pre-teens in 3rd - 5th grades. This once a month program includes: Bible study, self-reflection, games, and field trips. Details of next meeting will be coming soon!!
Contact: Kristine Vernon (kvernon@
ZION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
RETURN TO WORSHIP
It’s almost time….
It’s almost time to return to our Sanctuary!
I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2
The UMCSC Conference Cabinet, led by Bishop Jonathan Holston, has issued a statement that United Methodist Churches may return to in-person worship on June 14. We celebrate that we can gather again in the sacred space of our sanctuary and we recognize the necessity of doing all we can to ensure the health and safety of our church family.
Gathering will be different, but… (first, remember that I hardly know how to say hello without a hug) my recent experiences seeing people in-person informs me that being within six feet of someone I care about is good enough. In fact, it’s joyful! I pray that as we actively participate in the worship of God together, the experience will be meaningful, holy, and most importantly pleasing to God.
Chairs of Safe Sanctuary, Health and Wellness, Trustees, Church Administration, and Youth have been working together to discuss how we can best adhere to the standards given by our Conference officials along with other ways to keep our congregation as safe as possible. The following guidelines are born out of love and care for our fellowship, seeking the good for each other. They are a starting place that I am certain will be amended in the days to come. For now, they are as follows. (Please note that these guidelines only address our return to the sanctuary. Sunday school for any age group cannot yet meet.)
1. We will offer worship times for those who will wear masks and those who will not. Your responses below
will help us determine time and number.
2. We can accommodate 55 people per service with appropriate spacing. Family members can sit together.
3. Seating will be every other pew beginning with the third pew from the front. Volunteers will help with seating.
4. Hand sanitizer dispensers will be at the entrance of the sanctuary and at the restrooms in the CLC.
5. All will be encouraged to give air hugs and hand waves as greeting.
6. Everything will be removed from the pew racks including Bibles, hymnals, and pens, so we encourage that you bring your Bible from home or access it on your phone.
7. There will be no printed worship guides. Prayer concerns and announcements will be sent via email.
8. Offering plates will be on tables in the back of the sanctuary. We also encourage online giving or mailing your tithes and offerings to the church.
9. There will be no choir or congregational singing, however, we hope to offer solos, duets, perhaps even quartets with appropriate spacing. And, there’s always singing in your heart.
10. Everyone will be asked to leave the sanctuary in a fashion that accommodates social distancing.
11. The CLC will be open only for restroom use and the water fountain will be closed.
12. Our facilities will continue to be cleaned on a regular basis.
13. We will continue to make available the video recordings of the services via YouTube and audio recordings via zionumc.net. These recordings will be available later on Sunday afternoon.
14. We hope for a live online video of the service in the future.
In closing, I ask that your prayers include our church and all the preparation that is currently in motion to ensure that we may enter into the house of the Lord with joyful praise.
Even though we had to indefinitely postpone our church-wide Mission Blitz, we can still help some of our targeted mission projects. On Saturday, June 6, 2020, from 11 am until noon, Becky Graves and Crystal Lewis will be at the church to collect donations.
A recording of our current Sunday Worship Service is available on our Website. Simply click on the "Recorded Service" tab shown above.
The Zion Prayer Team needs you. We all know the power of prayer. Our team lifts up the needs of our church, our community, and especially those who are sick. Our 2020 kickoff meeting will be soon. For more information, please contact Pete Blankenship.
Suspended until further notice.
Mercy Center Meals
Four times a year the United Methodist Women prepare and serve a meal for those attending South Main Chapel and Mercy Center. Volunteers leave Zion after our early service and serve the noon meal at the Mercy Center. The remaining dates for 2020 are June 7th, September 13th, and December 6th. Anyone interested in helping with food or serving the meals on one of those Sundays, please call Cheryl Carlisle for more information.
2020 Altar Flowers Calendar
The 2020 flower calendar has been placed in the cemetery side narthex. The arrangements are provided and delivered by Flowers by the Lake. If you would like to participate, please sign up on the calendar and place your check in the offering plate made payable to Zion UMC with the notation "flowers". See Martha Graham if you have questions. Thank you your support!
Health & Wellness Ministry
This is one of our newest ministries.See Jane Pinkerton or Tony Blankenship with any questions. Let’s Build Together! Let’s Do This!
Morning Adult Bible Study
Suspended until further notice.
Thursday Evening Bible Study
Suspended until further notice.
We have added printable forms to our website to make it more convenient for you to fill out the required forms and turn them in rather than having to pick one up at the Church. You can find the forms we have posted so far under the MORE... column above.
Announcements for 5/31/2020
Clean Start Needs for May – Towels and washcloths.
Special Needs for Clean Start: Noreen Smith of Clean Start has indicated there is a special need at this time for the following items: Men’s belts, men’s athletic shoes, sizes 9-12 (gently used or new), dryer sheets, facecloths, socks for both men and women, cleaning supplies, such as bleach. See Becky Lynch or Cheryl Carlisle if you have questions.
Family Promise Needs for May - Cleaning Supplies and laundry detergent.
Helps homeless families with children stabilize their lives by accessing the resources necessary to acquire safe, affordable housing!
Music and Video shown on this website covered under CCLI Music License and CVLI Video License.