Zion Methodist Church was organized in December, 1887, by the Reverend C.V. Barnes. Services were first conducted at a place called "Bamer", about one and a half miles above the present location on the road to Pendleton, South Carolina. The first site was not a desirable one, and the Board of Trustees purchased two acres where the current church now stands from George E. Jacks on November 18, 1889, for $25.00. The name was then changed to Zion Methodist Church. The first Church building was erected in 1890.
From 1888 to 1898, the Church was attached to the Townville Circuit. From 1898 to 1906, it was on the McClure Charge, and from 1906 to 1911, it was again on the Townville Circuit. From 1911 until 1951, the Church remained on the Pendleton Charge, then it was placed on the Townville Charge until 1956. In 1956, a new charge was created, known as the Sandy Springs Charge, which included Zion, Sharon & Sandy Springs Methodist Churches. Because of rapid growth Zion was removed from the Sandy Springs Charge, and made a station (1 church) appointment in 2000.
In 1942, four Sunday School rooms were added to the Auditorium. New pews and a new pulpit was purchased in 1954. More Sunday School rooms were added in 1957.
On May 12, 1967, the old Zion Church building was struck by lightning, and burned. The present Church building was started in the fall of 1968, and completed in May of 1969. John Rogers, Jr. was the Architect for the new building. On Mothers Day in May of 1969, the Rev. James R. Gregg conducted the first service, which included a baptism in the new building.
In February of 1998, the former Anderson School District 4 Lunchroom was acquired and remodeled. A pastor's office, a classroom and storage was dedicated in the summer of 1998.
Construction on a new parsonage began in February of 2001 on land donated by Hazel & John Moore and was completed in November, 2001.
The construction of a new addition began early in 2004 and was dedicated on February 13, 2005. The addition added space for classrooms, kitchen, dining area/gym, and meeting rooms.
At present time, Zion is a thriving congregation. With God's love, we are moving out to minister in our community and world.